Is Morocco safe to visit as tourist?
As of my last update in September 2021, Morocco is generally considered safe for tourists to visit. It has been a popular tourist destination for many years, attracting millions of visitors annually. The Moroccan government has made efforts to enhance security measures in major tourist areas to ensure the safety of both locals and tourists.
However, like any country, it’s essential to remain vigilant and take standard precautions while traveling. Here are some tips to ensure a safe and enjoyable trip to Morocco:
- Stay informed: Check for any travel advisories or updates from your government’s official travel website before planning your trip.
- Respect local customs: Morocco is a Muslim-majority country with a unique culture and customs. It’s essential to be respectful of local traditions and dress modestly, particularly in more conservative areas.
- Use reputable transportation and accommodation: Opt for registered taxis, licensed guides, and established accommodation options to ensure your safety.
- Be cautious with your belongings: Like in any tourist destination, be mindful of pickpocketing and keep your valuables secure.
- Avoid risky areas: Stay away from areas known for civil unrest or instability, especially near the borders.
- Learn some basic Arabic or French: While English is spoken in many tourist areas, learning a few phrases in Arabic or French can be helpful and show respect to the locals.
- Avoid street food stalls with questionable hygiene: If you want to try local street food, choose busy stalls with a high turnover of customers to reduce the risk of foodborne illnesses.
- Follow local advice: If a local or your accommodation provider advises against visiting certain areas or doing specific activities, it’s best to heed their advice.
Please keep in mind that situations can change over time, and it’s always a good idea to check for updated travel advisories and information from reliable sources before your trip. Additionally, circumstances may be different in 2023, so I recommend checking with the Moroccan embassy or consulate in your country for the most current information on travel safety. So, yes it is a safe country for tourists to go.
6 days tour from Tangier to Merzouga